Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Valve Cover..

I decided to work on my valve cover today. This valve cover came off the 98 JDM ITR motor that is in my Del Sol. I first drenched the valve cover with aircraft stripper, in order to strip the red finish off. I used a scrapper and brush to remove a majority of the finish off, and then rinsed off the valve cover with water. I then reapplied more aircraft stripper to the spots I missed, and after many tries, the valve cover is finally stripped of it's original finish.

Next I took out the Makita angle grinder and grinded away the lettering and logos off the valve cover. I then sanded down the grinded surface with a block and sandpaper. The top half of the valvecover is nice and flat, but the lower half still needs some work, as it is still a little wavy. I gave it a quick shot of paint to see the reflection, which showed waves.

The start..


Aircraft stripper eating away the original finish..


Most of the finish scraped off..


Stripped..


Grinded away..


Quick pass of paint to determine the low spots that need to be sanded away..

No comments:

Post a Comment