Monday, January 18, 2010

Dash Installed..

Two nights ago, I realized that the dash can be disassembled by removing 10 screws. The plastic section with the VIN tag was one piece, and the softer part of the dash was another piece. I realized that it would be a lot easier/cleaner to cut and install the dash when it is disassembled. I decided to give it a shot and cut it, but it didn't turn out too clean.

The following day, I went to Import Center to purchase a replacement dash. I found a clean dash in a Civic coupe. It took the worker about 30 minutes to remove, and when he gave it to me, I saw that there was a 1" cut on the top near the airbag. He must have tried prying or cutting it out, and I was not happy. I took it into my own hands, and used the tools I brought along, a 1/4" ratchet set and philips screwdriver, and removed a dash from another car. It took me about 15 minutes to remove the dash.

I brought the dash home, and started cutting away at it. It took many iterations of dremeling to finally get it to fit correctly. I am happy with the results, and think it came out pretty clean.

Today I bolted the dash together, and mounted it onto the car. I then mounted my steering column and finished up the wiring in that area. I then mounted the fuse box, and started to run all the power cables to and from the kill switch/fuse box/starter/alternator/battery terminals.

Dash taken apart..


Hacked off vents, which interfered with the roll cage..


First dash installed. I wasn't satisfied with the cuts..


Second dash cut and test fitted..


The piece that is in front of the cage will be glued back in place, so there won't be an empty hole there..


Driverside cut, pretty good..


Passengerside cut, I cut it a little wide..


Steering column installed, and test fitted AiM Sports display..


Fuse box mounted..


Fuse box hidden..


Power cables..


Had an ouchie doing the power cables..

No comments:

Post a Comment